When Ted Wilson, the General Conference president, publicly announced that a special group of theologians and bioethicists were working on a Biblical Statement on Abortion, Many Adventists did not believe that this would be possible. Their surprise was great when this became a reality on 10-16-2019. The document contains many Prolife features:
1. “Thus, human life is of inestimable value. This is true for all stages of human life: the unborn, children of various ages, adolescents, adults, and seniors—independent of physical, mental, and emotional capacities”
This is amazing; the church is affirming that the unborn are of inestimable value and that this value is independent of physical or mental capacities. Does this mean that the church will no longer allow exceptions for abortions due to rape, malformations, or the lifestyle of women? We will find out when the Hospital Protocols will replace the current Guidelines on Abortion.
2. “Such an understanding of the sanctity of life gives inviolable and equal value to each and every human life and requires it to be treated with the utmost respect and care.”
Of course! We do not show respect to the unborn or the Creator of the unborn by killing the most innocent members of the human race.
3. “God considers the unborn child as human life.”
True! Killing the unborn is not equivalent to removing an appendix.
4. “Biblical law shows a strong regard for protecting human life and considers harm to or the loss of a baby or mother as a result of a violent act a serious issue (Exodus 21:22-23).”
5. “The Bible teaches care for the weak and the vulnerable.”
Yes, didn’t Jesus identify with the “least of these”? Aren’t the unborn included among the least of these?
6.“He [God] does not hold children accountable for the sins of their fathers.” (Ezekiel 18:20).
Doesn’t this inspired text do away with abortion due to rape? Society lets the rapist live, but it kills the innocent child. This is a terrible injustice.
7. “Consequently, in rare and extreme cases, human conception may produce pregnancies with fatal prospects and/or acute, life-threatening birth anomalies that present individuals and couples with exceptional dilemmas.”
The dictionary defines a dilemma as the choice between two equally undesirable alternatives. The choice between the life of the mother and the life of the baby is a True Dilemma; but the choice between the lifestyle of the woman and the life of her unborn is a Fake Dilemma. So is the choice between killing the unborn and giving it up for adoption.
8. “These decisions should be well-informed and guided by the Holy Spirit and the biblical view of life outlined above.”
Are we assuming that the Holy Spirit may sometimes inspire women to violate the Commandment that says: “You shall not murder.”?
Conclusion: It is interesting to note that in answer to one of the members of the GC Executive Committee who asked why rape was not included in this new church document, he said: “Abortion is an act of violence; responding to violence with another violent act is not biblical.”
Ref.: “2019 Annual Council: October 16, 2019 – Wednesday AM”